LEAP Wisconsin is an initiative of the University of Wisconsin System that seeks to increase understanding of the value and purpose of liberal education for UW students and Wisconsin citizens.
System Advisory Group
on the Liberal Arts (SAGLA)
The UW System Advisory Group on the Liberal Arts consists of UW Colleges Deans, Letters & Science Deans, faculty and academic staff from throughout the UW System and UW System Administration: SAGLA Members. The Group seeks to include representation from each of the UW System's 15 institutions.
Initially convened by then-Senior Vice President Cora B. Marrett in September, 2004, the original purpose and charge of the group was as follows:
"To serve as an advisory group to UW System Administration as it moves forward with The Currency of the Liberal Arts and Sciences: Rethinking Liberal Education in Wisconsin. The group will work to:
- Clarify the focus of the initiative;
- Determine what the outcomes and the activities of the initiative should be;
- Decide how the small pot of money committed to the initiative should be spent by System and the institutions;
- Identify best practices for how the UW institutions can move forward on their own to raise the profile of and improve liberal arts education in Wisconsin.
Over time, the group has accomplished these outcomes and continues its advisory role to UW System Administration and the institutions in support of LEAP Wisconsin. SAGLA members administer the Liberal Arts Essay Scholarship Competition. Its members also undertook the organization of the November 2008 Liberal Education Conference.
SAGLA meets 2-3 times per year and focuses its work on:
If you would like to become involved in SAGLA, please contact Rebecca Karoff at email@example.com.
- Promoting and implementing campus action to make liberal education a more intentional part of what faculty, staff and students do as part of the educational enterprise;
- Developing avenues for public advocacy that will reach the citizens of Wisconsin;
- Collaborating with the Association of American Colleges and Universities on the LEAP or Liberal Education and America's Promise Campaign.