LEAP Wisconsin is an initiative of the University of Wisconsin System that seeks to increase understanding of the value and purpose of liberal education for UW students and Wisconsin citizens.
Look Who's Talking ... About Liberal Education!
There are many ways to articulate the value and purpose
of a liberal education. Following are links to articles,
speeches, and op-ed pieces by UW System and other Wisconsin
leaders on why a liberal education is, as Wisconsin Lieutenant
Governor Barbara Lawton likes to say, "the price of admission
to a twenty-first century knowledge economy."
- Conference: "Liberal Education: A Unifying Mission for the 21st Century University" (November 20, 2008)
- "Liberal Education
in the Community:
UW Oshkosh weaves culture of lifelong learning," UW-Oshkosh Magazine, Spring 2007. (2.7 MB pdf)
- Lt. Governor Barbara Lawton's remarks to the UW Board of Regents, August 17, 2006, Madison, Wisconsin.
- "The Discipline and the Furniture of the Mind," Speech by Kevin Reilly, UW System President, to Phi Beta Kappa Induction Banquet, UW-Madison, April 22, 2006. (26 kb pdf)
- Wisconsin Lieutenant Governor Barbara Lawton, Keynote Address to the 2006 Association of American Colleges & Universities National Conference, January 26, 2006, Washington, D.C. (64 kb pdf)
- Remarks to the UW-Marathon County Honors Reception by Mark Bradley, Vice President of the UW System Board of Regents. (24 kb pdf)
- Wisconsin public radio program, The West Side, on Liberal Education and UW-Eau Claire Campus-Community Dialogue, March 6, 2006.
(Check under March 6, 2006 of the Audio archives for The West Side)
- "A Liberating Education: UW-Oshkosh takes a LEAP forward," UW-Oshkosh Magazine, Spring 2006. (2.1 MB pdf)
- "An Essential Education: A strong liberal studies program at UW-Oshkosh
prepares students to be innovative, creative professionals," UW-Oshkosh Magazine, Fall 2006. (4.4 MB pdf)
- "A Liberal Education: Priceless, even by conservative estimate," Chancellor's FYI, by Bruce Shepard, Chancellor, UW-Green Bay, October 2005.
- Opening Day Remarks by Michael Zimmerman, Former Dean of the College of Letters & Science, UW-Oshkosh, September 6, 2005. (38 kb pdf)
- Op-Ed Guest Column by Don Christian, Dean of Arts & Sciences at UW-Eau Claire, and Rebecca Karoff, Academic Planner, UW System Office of Academic and Student Services, to Badger Herald, March 27, 2006. (website)